Designed by Otto Prutscher in the 1920s, this bonbonniére began life as a trophy for a private men's club in Vienna. Today it sits nicely among the other silver items Prutscher designed for Alexander Strum's silver works. The ellipsoidal container rests on a delicate stem decorated with four stylized, sharp-edged wings at mid-height. The polished hemispherical foot reflects the central ellipsoid, which hovers over it; there are rosettes and buds added to the connecting points that even enhance the unorthodox character of this design.
About Wiener Silber Manufactur:
In 1882 Alexander Sturm, a trained gold- and silversmith, founded what is today Wiener Silber Manufactur in Vienna. By the turn of the century the silversmiths created objects for the intellectual elite that favored the simple lines of the Wiener Werkstatte.
After the second World War, the manufacturer became involved with avant-garde again and partnerships with luminary designers and architects lasted until it closed its doors in 1988. It was the vision of an innovative tradition of service that inspired George Stradiot to found the Vienna Silver Manufacture in 2008. Today the company revives masterpieces from their collection of 11,000 drawings dating to 1882, as well as paves new roads in the production of silver with artists such as Erwin Wurm and Zaha Hadid.
Wiener Silber Manufactur uses a special alloy that contains 94% by mass of silver. Sterling silver, by comparison, only contains 92.5% of silver.
940 Solid Silver
Ø 5.1" H 12.6"
Ø 5.1" H 12.6"